My Profile | Reload Blog | My 365

Friday, January 13, 2006

Speechies, prayer, and Psalm 27....

So on Tuesday we had our first speechie prayer meeting of term!

I love those times. I hope they continue this term in amongst the busy-ness. I love coming together with my Christian coursemates, from all the different year groups, and praying for our friends on our course, praying for our lecturers, praying for the people we're on placement with...praying that God would use us and speak through us into these people's lives.

This week we read through Psalm 27 - a Psalm that's been on my heart for nearly two weeks now, ever since Basil quoted just one verse of it in church on my first Sunday back.

This is something of what I shared with my fellow speechies, but it's not JUST for speechies!


It's a busy term. As far as course goes, 1st years are really getting stuck in now, 2nd years are gettin busier and preparing to go out on placement next term, 3rd years are just plain crazy hectic, 4th years and 2nd yr MSc's, graduation looms....1st yr MSc's are crazy hectic too....

As far as CU goes, it's crazy. We have exciting times ahead of new cell leaders and new exec taking over....exciting but a bit hectic. We have events week coming up. Exciting, but hectic.

We can EASILY feel swamped, deluged, drained.

Just plain old tired!

When we internalise that, we get stressed and feel like we're sinking.

When people don't respond to what we tell them about Jesus, we feel rubbish.

But listen to verse 1:- "The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?"

We live in a fallen world. We're strangers here. It's hard to relate sometimes. It's easy to feel under attack. But we need not be afraid. Verse 3 - "Though an army beseige me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident"

Its easy to say "I will hope in the Lord/I will be confident/I will trust Him". But unless we know the REASON for that confidence, for that trust, it's unfounded almost. We don't REALLY hold to it.

So WHY can we be confident? Verse 5 -he will keep me; verse 6 - he will receive me. And so much more.

God is faithful. He will keep His promises to us, just as he kept his promise to David, to Abraham, to Joseph, to Daniel...to the great 'heroes of faith', to the lesser known people who were stil obedient to Him, in Biblical times and since then.

What is our response to that this term? When we feel oppressed/worried/stressed/tired/unable to cope?

ONE THING. Verse 4. "One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life..."

We can be confident to trust our friends to the Lord. Verse 13-14:-

"I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD."

God WILL have His purpose. His kingdom WILL come.

We're the workers. Let's work, but in HIS strength, and for HIS glory.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jonny:) said...

ah yes Pslam 27 "the lord is my light and salvation" what a verse, it used to be my phone welcome message

3:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Amen to that Ceryn! Always in his strength. Tis such a priviledge to realise God uses us to serve him. Amazing stuff!! Thanks for that reflection, good to know it wasn't just giggling happening behind those doors! keep 'em coming ;)

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the way you have written that, that seems to now make sense in a clearer way thankyou.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home