My Profile | Reload Blog | My 365

Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Bible - what a book eh?!

I’ve been reminded, and shocked, this week at how much I take the Bible for granted. At how much I don’t treasure and take to heart what is written on its pages. It is the WORD OF GOD!!

I’m excited by the Bible. This is partly why.

And Psalm 119, all 2558 words (NIV) of it, is a celebration of the word of God. That’s nearly the word limit of the essay I handed in on Monday. And when I think of how MUCH that is….but here’s the difference. My essay, whilst I hope it was good (!) doesn’t matter one jot. I’ll never, I doubt, publish a paper. But all the papers in the world that have been published by the people considered the most intellectual, the most dynamic, the most revolutionary; that have added the most to their field, to human development, to research…(this includes Christians)….all that combined doesn’t matter a jot.

The Word of God throws every other word, sentence, paragraph, paper, book into a meaningless pile.

Because LIFE is contained in the pages of the Word of God. Our heavenly father has given us this precious gift, that we might know Him more.

And that’s why this word is celebrated in Psalm 119. That’s why SO much space is given over to a celebration of this word.

That’s why we need to ask the Holy Spirit to reveal its meaning to us and to impact our hearts with it. “Give me understanding and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart” (verse 34).

“Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight” (verse 35). YEAH!

“I have chosen the way of truth, I have set my heart on your laws.” (verse 30).

Let’s have more of a passion for God’s word. For not just reading it, but READING it….letting it REALLY sink into our hearts and changing us.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ed Goode said...

Thanks Ceryn, i needed to read that!
Tell me you didn't actually COUNT the words in Psalm 119?

9:37 AM  
Blogger Welshie said...

oh the beauty of Microsoft Word's word count tool...! ;-)

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home