My Profile | Reload Blog | My 365

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

What are we fighting for?

"I've got a friend, he's a pure-bred killing machine,
He says he's waited his whole damn life for this,
I knew him well when he was seventeen,
Now he's a man; he'll be dead by Christmas.
So...
Everybody's gone to war,
But we don't know what we're fighting for,
Don't tell me it's a worthy cause,
No cause could be so worthy.
If love is a drug, then I guess we're all sober,
If hope is a song then I guess it's all over,
How to have faith, when faith is a crime?
I don't want to die...
If God's on our side, then God is a joker,
Asleep on the job, his children fall over,
Out through the door and straight to the sky,
I don't want to die...!
For every man who wants to rule the world,
There'll be a man who just wants to be free,
What do we learn but what should not be learnt?
Too late to find a cure for this disease. "
Everybody's gone to war - Nina Pallot

So on our way to the cinema last nite to see Pirates, this song came on the radio. Nathan's response, "Ahh I don't like this song". I'd never listened to words. Now that I have, there's a lot I could say about them! But first thing that struck me was the bit I've put in bold...what seems to unfortunately be many people's response to God - that if he exists at all then He's not in control etc etc. What struck me was that we need to be getting out and telling people more about the hope that we have - hope isn't a song it's a certain hope based on Jesus.

What also struck me was that, with current affairs being as they are, with songs like this on the radio, and with Nathan getting closer by the day to signing up to the British Army, I really need to spend some time investigating and sorting out in my head exactly what the Bible says about war, what my response should be as a Christian, and what I really think about Christians in the army.

Watch this space. (Oh, and if anyone has any helpful hints for where to start, I'd be grateful!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Don Carson wrote a helpful follow up book to his "The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God", which is called "Love in Hard Places" and includes a chapter on Just War and why that is right.

Not read much else on the subject.

More to the point, what do you think of Pirates?

8:44 AM  
Blogger Welshie said...

Thanks Bish

Wanna read both those books. Been wanting to read the first one for ages.

Um, Pirates, well...think I'd wanna see it again. bit weird this one i thought. made me laugh. even made me jump (altho that doesnt' seem to be difficult at the moment). and the ending - i was expecting more of a definate conclusion but then i guess they want ppl to watch the next one...

10:26 AM  
Blogger Jonny:) said...

Yo

think those lines in the song are more making a piont about the US justification of the war in iraq and it being justified by God. Not about God's rule in the universe in general.

Also pirate, kinda 1/2 hour of plot and the other 2 hours was johnny depp walking around, not rushing to see that again personaly

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home