My Profile | Reload Blog | My 365

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Subject to change

So last Sunday night saw the completion of many months planning that the CU and churches in Portsmouth have put in to an event aimed at reaching non-Christians with the gospel. The general format was a jazz band and a Christian comedian, who would also deliver the gospel. 'Sunday night live' it was called.

Just a week before the event problems occurred (as they always seem to do). Basically, this meant that the event could no longer be held in the union and had to be moved to the pier. A bit of a setback. Maybe.

Actually my first reaction when I was told the venue had changed was 'phew'! Why? Because don't you think it's all too easy to place your security, in circumstances such as this, in where an event is held, or how cool it's gonna be, or how many people come along.

Frankly, it wouldn't have mattered if we'd had to hold it on the common in the open air and pouring rain, and one person had come along; if the gospel had been proclaimed faithfully and that person had been saved.

As it was, the union might have been a cool, central venue - but this was yet another reminder to me that God is God, and HE KNOWS BEST. He will have His way and no matter how many plans WE make, and we need to be always open to change as the Spirit leads us. God had clearly shut the door on the union, so all we could do was get excited that the event was gonna be great, regardless of where it was held.

That's hard though isn't it? As much as I was glad the venue had changed because it forced us to focus on God alone, I couldn't help that niggling feeling that maybe it would flop. Especially when the rain came. And came. And came. Part of me didn't even want to be out in that weather, let alone, I thought, non-Christians.

Oh how little faith I have in our wonderful God! The venue was packed, to the point where extra tables/chairs had to be laid out; to the point where we ran out of food; to the point that, I must be honest, exceeded my expectations.

That is the power of the gospel. That is the power of God.

What a challenge. A challenge to trust God more. A challenge to pray each day "God, this day is yours..." and then sit back and enjoy the day, expecting to be excited by Him. A challenge to place my security and trust only in God; not in venues or speakers or cool events.

And that last challenge extends doesn't it, it extends past venues etc into the rest of my life. I need to trust God with everything. I need to place my security in Him always - because everything else is subject to change.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great, I agree. The place was packed to capacity (some people had to sit on a seperate area because of lack of space.

I also got some free flowers from the event!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Gillian Wildgoose said...

Hello there! How are you?

2:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very well thank you.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

amen to that Ceryn. Glad to hear it was such a success. Tis so true, that God's gotta be our one and only focus of trust. Then it becomes so much clearer why he wants us to; we get his peace & a focussed passion after his name.

God rocks in all places, all peoples, and all weathers. I love it :D

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home