My Profile | Reload Blog | My 365

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

All that jazz

So, another freshers week! This time out of the confines of the safe haven I know as Reading's 360 and the wider areas of campus. Out of the routine I have become accustomed to. Away from the people I know and have shared a passion with for freshers for what seems like my entire life. In a place where I can barely find my way to the union. Well and truly, I must admit, out of my comfort zone. Speaking to freshers and handing out flyers seemed, somehow, so much easier in Reading.

And yet, reflecting on today, I'm reminded that I have the same God. The same God who is marevellous and amazing and unfathomable by my puny little brain.

Anyway. This God, this wonderful God, has surrounded me in Portsmouth with people who have simply welcomed me. With people who are passionate for His glory and not theirs. He has brought me to a place I don't know, to people I don't know, to a different setup; and yet He remains the same. The gospel remains the same. Grace remains the same. His strength and love and peace and guidance and the security I find in Him remains the same.

I was surrounded today by many clubs and societies that I'd never heard of! But I was accompanied by a God who knows them and understands them far better than I do. Who doesn't judge them, just loves them.

I was surrounded by people who need the gospel just as much as those in Reading do and in fact just as much as those across the world do. And I was moved to pray for them.

It was SO cool and such a blessing to be at the prayer meeting this morning. It was such a blessing to be at one of the halls on Monday; getting to know the hall leaders a little better and just chatting to freshers.

It's been great, only halfway through the week, to have come across people showing an interest in Christianity and to be burdened to pray for them.

In short, I think what I'm trying to say is that isn't it just amazing that however out of our comfort zones we are, we have the gospel and the grace of God to steady our shaky feet and nervous thoughts. And in fact, when we are out of our comfort zones it is then that we rely on God more, and in so doing bring Him glory. Isn't the gospel fantastic. Isn't it wonderful that as I gave out bags to people today I wasn't just giving them bags with sweets and flyers in- I was giving them bags containing Life, or at least the message of it. Real life. And as I did that, I knew I was part of a much bigger plan. And as I wandered around the freshers fayre giving out flyers, I knew that my friends in Reading were doing the same. And I could pray for them and know that God was in control. Because as we in Portsmouth were proclaiming the message, we joined with people not just in the south east of England, but all over the world who are living for Jesus and speaking for Jesus.

And why do we do that? Not because we're part of some big massive multinational club or society. Because we're children of the living God. Because we have the message of salvation. Because we know the Good News of eternal life, life in its FULLEST sense (John 10:10).

And when I got too tired and had to leave, I knew it was OK because though I am weak, God is strong. He is mighty to save and He will. He is the one in control of freshers fayre, not me. He is the one doing the work. He is the one who I can trust to do all things well. He is the one who is achieving His purposes in/for/through me (as opposed to me achieving my purposes for my life).

Isn't that cool.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jonny:) said...

It's amazing, God works outside of reading!

Realy is soo good for making you relise that :)

GLad to read alls going well

2:50 PM  
Blogger Teifion said...

Ceryn, I'm sure you'll find your way around in no time, in the meantime people like myself are happy to help.

It is good to be reminded how real God is.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

awesome stuff Ceryn. thanks for the reminder :D you keep walking in God (in whom ALL things are possible)'s strength.

Phil 4v13

you remain in my prayers :)

3:14 PM  
Blogger Ed Goode said...

yeh man its awesome! its so cool to be standing shoulder to shoulder with people in the south east, the rest of the country and all over the world!

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home