My Profile | Reload Blog | My 365

Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Catechism for Kids

Children's talk at church went something like this...

"I'm gonna come down and sit at your level. Now I know the big people, the adults, don't think you can learn stuff or understand stuff, but I know and you know that you're more intelligent than that...and that you're probably much better at remembering stuff than the big people are. So we're gonna learn something today that I think you're clever enough to learn. When we learn something new it helps to repeat it. So I want you to repeat after me:

'Man's chief end...'

(kids: 'man's chief end' x3)

Great! Now we're gonna add a bit.

Ready?

'Man's chief end is to glorify God'

(kids: 'man's chief end...is to glorify God' x 4)

Great! Now let me explain what that means. It means the reason you were born is to glorify God. That's why you're alive. Now how do you 'glorify God'? What does that mean? Well it means you do what God says. So that means you read the Bible and find out what God says and tells you to do, and then do it. And that's how you glorify God. (which, I'm afraid, also means obeying your parents.)

Let's try it one more time, you do it on your own this time:

Kids: 'Man's chief end is to glorify God'

Great."

---End talk---

That's not word for word, I wasnt taping what the guy was saying. But it's the gist of it.

I was beaming from ear to ear. More, please.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Fantastic! That's left me with a whopping great grin on my face too :)

On the whole I feel we underestimate children far too much in what they can understand and take in.

We need more teaching like this for our children!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There's a great outworking of this in Ligon Duncan's Together for the Gospel talk on doctrine - on why God made a toy trike.

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home